October 01, 2004

Cats

startled into life like fire by Charles Bukowski, from Burning in Water, Drowning in Flame (Black Sparrow Press)

in grievous deity my cat
walks around
he walks around and around
with
electric tail and
push-button
eyes

he is
alive and
plush and
final as a plum tree

neither of us understands
cathedrals or
the man outside
watering his
lawn

if I were all the man
that he is
cat--
if there were men
like this
the world could
begin

he leaps up on the couch
and walks through
porticoes of my
admiration.

Morning by Mary Oliver, from New and Selected Poems (Beacon Press)

Salt shining behind its glass cylinder.
Milk in a blue bowl. The yellow linoleum.
The cat stretching her black body from the pillow.
The way she makes her curvaceous response to the small, kind gesture.
Then laps the bowl clean.
Then wants to go out into the world
where she leaps lightly and for no apparent reason across the lawn,
then sits, perfectly still, in the grass.
I watch her a little while, thinking:
what more could I do with wild words?
I stand in the cold kitchen, bowing down to her.
I stand in the cold kitchen, everything wonderful around me.

1 Comments:

Blogger James shared an opinion...

Heheh, you really got to love Bukowski. He has such a perverse way of seeing the world. Ever seen his movie? 'Tis called "Barfly". A good one for a tired sunday night.

-The Reverend Maniac

5:28 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home